One Click and We'll Give You Millions
While Data.gov lists its holdings at almost 400,000 datasets, the fact is, Data.gov is the link to millions of public datasets.
Many Federal agencies post their data collections on Data.gov as single entities. In addition, Data.gov is host to tools, widgets and gadgets that each accesses thousands of datasets.
These collections run the gamut of topics. For example:
- 2011 Code of Federal Regulations in XML. It’s not surprising that the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the Federal agencies would reach 100 MB in size.
- Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office (GLO) Records System. About 10 million records. The GLO holds U.S. land title information images, including patent images, survey plats, field notes and master title plats.
- EPA Enforcement and Compliance History Online (ECHO) Exporter Data. ECHO shares data related to water, air, waste, and drinking water regulations, along with information on facilities violating the Clean Water Act and tools that compare water quality trends and generate interactive maps that link to state dashboards.
- Farmers Market Geographic Data. Longitude and latitude, state, address, name, and zip code of nearly 8,000 Farmers Markets in the United States.
- Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) Database. Records of more than 1,000 government advisory committees from 1972 to the present.
- NASA Image Exchange (NIX). A collection of more than 500,000 multimedia records from NASA’s missions and projects.
- Patent Grant Bibliographic Text (1976-present). With 4,000 patents being issued each week, this database contains about 10 million records. Like many agencies, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is a wealth of data. We’ve also got the Patent Classification Files since 1790.
Data.gov is not about the numbers but the quality of our holdings. Still, it’s important to realize that a vast storehouse of data can be found behind just one little click.
Sally Ruth Bourrie of Phase One Consulting Group supports Outreach and Communications at Data.gov.